Saturday, September 14, 2013

The "10 minute a day - DIY - because I deserve it - Spa Week"




Its a well known fact that mothers (and fathers!) often spend lots of time and energy helping everyone else, but neglect to look after (let alone pamper!) themselves. But the truth is, we'll do a better job of looking after others, when we're refreshed and well cared for ourselves.
Being kind to ourselves doesn’t have to take hours. I reckon it’s possible to pamper yourself in 10 minutes a day: whip up a face mask while you make breakfast, and then wash it off in the shower!  It will do wonders for your skin, but from my experience it also helps my mood and attitude :)  Don't get me wrong, I love looking after my kids - they are the most beautiful things and make me laugh every day!  But when I've done something a bit special for me, I feel like I've got that little bit more to give... my patience seems to stretch that little bit further... and things seem more manageable... and for me, that's worth doing :) 

I think you'd be surprised at how cheap and easy it is to make up a very effective skin or hair treatment.  A lot of things you find in your fridge and pantry do wonders when used on the outside as well as the inside.  Did you know that avocado, olive oil, banana and even coffee are great for your skin and hair?

So, having said all that, I’d like to propose that we spend a little time each day for a week doing something nice "for me" :)

So, I've done some research, (read: browsed Pinterest!) and come up with some good recipes.



This is the Plan so far:


Monday – Face scrub & mas
Tuesday – Body scru
Wednesday – Moisturising/cleansing fruit mask
Thursday – Hand soak & manicure
Friday – Foot soak & scrub
Saturday – Hair Mask
Sunday – Bath soak + mask (face & hair?)


And here is the Ingredient List, so you can get ready!

Ground coffee beans (you can grind your own or buy pre-ground)
Cocoa powder
Whole milk (or substitute with milk powder & water or almond milk)
Vegetable oil (olive, almond or rice bran are all good)
Honey
1 Lemon (for zest)
1 Orange (for zest)
1 Lime (for zest)
Lemon Juice (for oily skin)
1 Banana (2 for dry skin or 1 banana + Strawberries for oily skin)
2 Eggs
Oatmeal
Corn flour (corn starch)
Tea leaves (Green tea & peppermint or other fruit or herbal tea you have on hand)
Epsom Salts
Baking Soda
Sea salt

Notes: organic is obviously better, but not essential – the idea is to be able to use what you have in your cupboard to make it easier and save money.

You’ll also need:
A small microwave safe bowl
Towels – bath towel & tea towel
A shower cap / plastic bag / glad wrap
A tub / bucket big enough to soak your hands and feet in (not at the same time ;))

And now, we're all set to go for our "10 minute a day - DIY - Because I deserve it - Spa Week"!
(Recipes to come :))

No comments: