Monday, September 16, 2013

"Citrus by the Seaside Body Scrub"


Recipe #2 in the "10 minute a day - DIY - because I deserve it - Spa Week"


Otherwise known as heaven in a bottle!  Refreshing, energising and most importantly skin smoothing!



There are quite a few different citrus scrubs out there, but this is my version.

 In the past I've made a scrub with coconut oil and citrus essential oils, which was solid in the jar but melted on the skin, which was nice.  This one is more like a salt slushy and looks gorgeous and lemon-y.  I also like that this one uses kitchen cupboard essentials and is easy to put together, so you can whip it up whenever you need it.

A lot of the recipes out there use olive oil or sweet almond oil, which are both wonderful for you skin, but I've chosen rice bran oil, because it is rich in fatty acids, antioxidants and vitamins B & E, which help increase the skins elasticity and keep it hydrated and soft.  It's great for sensitive or mature skin. (And also for cooking, which is why I had it on hand!)  If you don't have any in your cupboard olive oil or almond oil will also make a beautiful scrub.

For the salt, I used a mixture of coarse and fine sea salt.  The coarse salt looks great, but I find that the fine salt does a better job of polishing your skin... you can choose whichever you'd prefer :)


"Citrus by the Seaside Body Scrub"

    1/2 C Sea salt
    1/4 C Rice bran oil
    1 lemon
    1 orange
    A pretty jar or small bowl

    Combine the sea salt and oil in a small bowl.
    Use a fine grater to take the zest off both the lemon and orange and add them to the salt mixture.
    Squeeze the juice of the lemon and half the orange into the salt mixture - be careful to catch any pips! Squeeze the juice from the other half of the orange into a glass and drink it - Yum!
    Give the mixture a good stir and add more salt or oil until your desired slushy-ness is reached

    In the shower (or bath!) after washing yourself scoop some out of the bowl and gently rub it over your skin in a circular motion - you can also use a wash cloth for this :)
    Breathe in the yummy citrus aroma!
    Wash off all the salt and rub the leftover oil into your skin
    Finish your shower and pat your soft, smooth skin dry.
    Smile and thank yourself for making the effort to show you care ;) 


You can also keep a jar at your sink - I've just used it on my hands and  they feel wonderful - they were so dry before, but now they're smooth and soft!

I hope you like this scrub as much as I do!  Let me know what you think, below!



No comments: